From time to time members ask us about the environmental credentials of International Therapist. While we regularly review the products we use, you can read about the materials we currently use on this page.
Sustainably sourced paper
International Therapist is printed on responsibly sourced wood-free paper certified by the FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council). The paper is made up of a mixture of virgin wood fibre from an FSC®-certified forest, reclaimed or recycled, or from controlled sources (controlled wood).
Controlled wood fibres must come from sources that are not:
- Illegally logged
- Harvested from areas where there is violation of traditional or civil rights
- Harvested from forests in which high conservation values are threatened by management activities
- Harvested from areas being converted from forests and other wooded ecosystems to plantations or non-forest uses
- Harvested from forests in which genetically modified (GM) trees are planted
- The pulp is bleached using an elementary chlorine-free (ECF) process, preventing the release of pollutants.
You can find out more about the paper we use here
International Therapist is distributed in plastic polywrap. While this is not biodegradable, it can be recycled along with other low-density polyethylene (LDPE) items such as carrier bags, bread bags and toilet roll wrapping at recycling centres found in the UK’s larger supermarkets.
LDPE plastic collection points can be found at larger stores of the Co-op, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Morrisons, Tesco and Asda.
You can find out more about recycling your International Therapist polywrap here
Although it’s not generally collected from the kerbside, some local councils are beginning to include items like this as part of household recycling schemes.
The FHT has looked into a number of biodegradable alternatives, but has been advised that unless these are composted effectively (e.g. they are placed in a compost that is regularly turned and aerated), the wrapper will not be exposed to sunlight and oxygen, which are both required for it to break down properly.
Please note that we do periodically review the products we use to print and distribute International Therapist, and there are some promising environmentally friendly wrappers coming to the fore, which we are keeping a close eye on for the future.