Date: 29 November 2020
Location: Novotel Liverpool Centre, 40 Hanover Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 4LN
Course times: 9:30am - 5:00pm (please arrive at 9:15am)
Prerequisite: Any qualified therapist
CPD points: 5
Course content: This is a CPD introduction to working with those affected by cancer and covers the condition, the treatment, side effects and the ways in which therapists can help. This is a practical and interactive course which will draw on the experience of the delegates as well as the knowledge and experience of the tutor.
The Jennifer Young Training School provides accredited advanced diplomas to those wishing to use their skills to help those living with and beyond cancer. In this one-day CPD introduction to working with cancer patients we will cover:
- The biology of cancer
- Main treatments for cancer and their side-effects
- The mechanisms underlying the side-effects
- The ways in which the main treatments impact cancer and what can go wrong
- Medical devices that you may encounter
- The main contraindications to touch for those going through treatment for cancer
- The emotional impact of diagnosis and treatment
- The personal impact of a cancer diagnosis
- Evidence to support the many well-proven benefits of touch therapies to those affected by cancer
- The language of cancer, it's treatment and how to welcome your client
- The products (massage oils, skincare and essential oil blends) that can be used with those affected by cancer
- How to make a client comfortable
- Ways in which therapists can look after themselves as well as others, emotionally and physically
- The hygiene standards required when working with cancer patients
- The requirements of the laws in place to protect the client and the therapist
- The simple steps that can be taken to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
Course tutor: Jennifer Young is the creator of Defiant Beauty, specialist skincare for those affected by cancer, founder of www.BeautyDespiteCancer.co.uk and author of 'Recognise Yourself' a beauty and well-being guide for those living with and beyond cancer. Jennifer has a BSc (Hons) in Biology and is an experienced microbiologist, is a qualified nutritional therapist, an associate member of the Royal Society of Medicine, a qualified aromatherapist, beauty therapist and product formulator. She has two post-graduate qualifications in health-related fields, has been accepted by the courts as an expert witness for occupational health cases and has been active in medical research.
What to bring:
- Lunch and refreshments will be provided
- Maximum class number: 25
- Parking is available at Qpark Hanover Street, just opposite to the hotel, postcode L1 4AF. The hotel provides 30% discount at the reception which only needs to be obtained when taking the car our of the car park, nothing is needed from the hotel prior parking. (Parking and transport to and from the venue is not the responsibility of the FHT.)
- Students booking this course will be contacted directly by the FHT with further joining instructions.
- If this course is not able to run due to insufficient attendee numbers, you will be notified four weeks before the course date.
Early bird prices: £65 FHT members/ £85 non-members
Regular prices: £85 FHT members/ £100 non-members
Terms and conditions:
Bookings and payments
- All bookings are subject to availability.
- Full payment must be made at the time of booking.
- You may cancel a course booking at any time.
Cancellations within the 14-day cooling-off period
- If you cancel the course booking within 14 calendar days of receiving your order confirmation you are entitled to a full refund of the price paid without giving any reason.
- If the course commences during the 14-day cancellation period, we will retain an amount of your booking that is in proportion to goods that have been provided or services performed up until you have communicated to us your cancellation of the booking.
Cancellations outside of the cooling-off period
- After the 14-day cooling-off period has expired, the standard FHT course cancellation policy (as specified below) shall apply. Cancellations and refunds in circumstances outside those described above, and/or following the expiry of the 14-day cancellation period, are subject to the terms and conditions set out in these terms and conditions. For the avoidance of doubt, the cancellation period will expire 14 days after the date of the order confirmation.
- Cancellations made after the 14-day cancellation period will be subject to an administration fee of £28.
- Cancellations 21 days prior to the course start date will result in 50% of the course cost being forfeited.
- Cancellations 14 days prior to the course start date will result in the full course cost being forfeited.
Cancelling a course booking
- To cancel a course booking, you must inform us by calling our main line on 023 8062 4350, or let us know of your decision to cancel the contract by emailing email@example.com or in writing to the following postal address: FHT, 18 Shakespeare Business Centre, Hathaway Close, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 4SR. You must clearly state your intention to cancel your place on the course.
- We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction. If for any reason this is not possible, we will contact you to make other arrangements to process your refund. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of this reimbursement.
- Failure to attend the course will not result in a refund.
FHT course cancellations
- The FHT reserves the right to cancel or reschedule events as necessary according to interest in that specific topic. We will endeavour to keep learners informed of the status of the event, but it is the individual’s responsibility to check the website for the status of events.
- The FHT will not accept responsibility for any unrecoverable costs incurred by delegates (e.g. accommodation, travel, parking, etc.) as a result of a cancelled or postponed course.
- It is not the FHT's responsibility to provide or guarantee parking at the venues where our courses are held. Parking is subject to the venue's availability and any charges for parking are imposed by the venue, not the FHT.
- It is not the FHT’s responsibility to provide delegates with lunch or refreshments. The FHT will inform you whether lunch and refreshments are provided or if you are required to bring your own. If you have a special dietary requirement, we suggest that you bring your own snacks and lunch as we cannot guarantee that the venue is able to cater to your needs.
Membership and insurance
- Before booking onto any course through the FHT or any other course provider, it is always best to check with your professional association and insurance company to ensure that the training will be recognised upon completion.
- Please note that FHT works with trusted and experienced external tutors to host our courses and may need to provide your email address for the purpose of sending you pre-course information such as training manuals or information about the equipment you will need for the course. If you do not wish for your email address to be shared with the course tutor please make the FHT aware by contacting us via telephone on 023 8062 4372 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.