Location: LOROS, Groby Road, Leicester, LE3 9QE
Course times: 9.30am - 5.00pm (please arrive from 9am to set up)
Prerequisite: Level 3 Body Massage, Level 3 Swedish Massage, Level 3 Sports Massage and a minimum of one years’ experience.
CPD points: Six
Learn new skills for treating clients with scars, fibrosis and adhesions. Attendees will finish the day having discovered six simple ScarWork techniques and have an understanding of their application for a variety of scars surgery. ScarWork is gentle, so minimal strain is put on the therapist and the client should also find treatment pain-free.
This is an ideal course for qualified therapists to start to think about the impact of scar tissue. Releasing or improving the tension in and around a scar or improving the connective tissue health may be the key to your client’s recovery. Learn some simple new techniques to help stimulate change and encourage further healing in this one-day highly practical course.
- Scar healing timelines
- A brief introduction to scars from surgery and the lasting impact on fascia, movement and mobility
- Common complications in healing
- Introduction to Sharon Wheeler and the development of ScarWork
- Contraindications to ScarWork
- Six Simple ScarWork techniques
- Clinical practice session with members of the public
We discuss client mobility/longer-term impacts and the benefit of promoting improvement in and around the scar and connective tissue. Much of the day is focused on developing the attendee’s skills in the correct pressure and delivery of the ScarWork techniques and application for scars after a variety of surgery types.
The day starts by covering the basic theory including contraindications and treatment principles. This is followed by a demonstration and paired practice to complete the morning session. In the afternoon, the skills are then transferred to a supervised clinical session with members of the public attending for treatment to consolidate the techniques on clients with a variety of scars from surgery.
This is an introductory course and further training is recommended to develop your skills, knowledge and experience.
Attendees of this course are required to arrange for a volunteer model with a scar to attend the course between the times of 2.15pm – 4.15pm on Saturday 6th July so that the attendee is able to practice their skills. This is a wonderful chance for a volunteer to have some relaxing and useful scar therapy for discomfort after surgery. Participation by volunteers with scars is essential, so that the therapists can practice their skills, but the volunteer’s comfort and modesty is respected at all times. Everyone has different needs and requirements and during the session we will ensure the volunteer is looked after and remains comfortable.
Following your booking, you will be contacted via email by the FHT. You will be sent a client clinic form which your volunteer model must complete and send back to email@example.com by no later than 21st June 2019.
Course tutor: Emma Holly
Emma Holly trained in massage therapy back in 1993, she has a wide range of experience and now specialises in treating clients with post-operative scars. Emma has developed training courses for massage, physiotherapists and other qualified complementary therapists in ScarWork. Emma has been highly commended as complementary therapist of the year 2017 by FHT for her work.
Emma had the first national press coverage for ScarWork and has continued to gain publicity for her work. Emma still has a very busy and varied clinical practice with a mixture of old and new scars from hand injuries to foot surgery, facial scars to spinal surgery.
What to bring:
- Please wear your usual clinic clothing
- Refreshments will be provided throughout the day - delegates are required to bring their own lunch.
- Maximum class number: 10
- It is the responsibility of the person booking this course to organise for a volunteer model to attend the afternoon of the course.
- Attendee parking is not the responsibility of the FHT, parking and transport is the responsibility of the individual attendee.
- Students booking this course will be contacted directly by the FHT with further joining instructions.
Course prices and bookings: Book here
Regular prices: Member price £110 / Non-member price £125
Terms and conditions:
Bookings and payments
- All bookings are subject to availability.
- Full payment must be made at the time of booking.
- You may cancel a course booking at any time.
Cancellations within the 14-day cooling off period
- If you cancel the course booking within 14 calendar days of receiving your order confirmation you are entitled to a full refund of the price paid without giving any reason.
- If the course commences during the 14-day cancellation period, we will retain an amount of your booking that is in proportion to goods that have been provided or services performed up until you have communicated to us your cancellation of the booking.
Cancellations outside of the cooling off period
- After the 14-day cooling off period has expired, the standard FHT course cancellation policy (as specified below) shall apply. Cancellations and refunds in circumstances outside those described above, and/or following the expiry of the 14-day cancellation period, are subject to the terms and conditions set out in these terms and conditions. For the avoidance of doubt, the cancellation period will expire 14 days after the date of the order confirmation.
- Cancellations made after the 14-day cancellation period will be subject to an administration fee of £28.
- Cancellations 21 days prior to the course start date will result in 50% of the course cost being forfeited.
- Cancellations 14 days prior to the course start date will result in the full course cost being forfeited.
Cancelling a course booking
- To cancel a course booking, you must inform us by calling our main line on 023 8062 4350, or let us know of your decision to cancel the contract by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the following postal address: FHT, 18 Shakespeare Business Centre, Hathaway Close, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 4SR. You must clearly state your intention to cancel your place on the course.
- We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction. If for any reason this is not possible, we will contact you to make other arrangements to process your refund. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of this reimbursement.
- Failure to attend the course will not result in a refund.
FHT course cancellations
- The FHT reserves the right to cancel or reschedule events as necessary according to interest in that specific topic. We will endeavour to keep learners informed of the status of the event, but it is the individual’s responsibility to check the website for the status of events.
- The FHT will not accept responsibility for any unrecoverable costs incurred by delegates (e.g. accommodation, travel, parking, etc.) as a result of a cancelled or postponed course.
- It is not the FHT's responsibility to provide or guarantee parking at the venues where our courses are held. Parking is subject to the venue's availability and any charges for parking are imposed by the venue, not the FHT.
- It is not the FHT’s responsibility to provide delegates with lunch or refreshments. The FHT will inform you whether lunch and refreshments are provided or if you are required to bring your own. If you have a special dietary requirement, we suggest that you bring your own snacks and lunch as we cannot guarantee that the venue is able to cater to your needs.
Membership and insurance
- Before booking onto any course through the FHT or any other course provider, it is always best to check with your professional association and insurance company to ensure that the training will be recognised upon completion.
- Please note that FHT works with trusted and experienced external tutors to host our courses and may need to provide your email address for the purpose of sending you pre-course information such as training manuals or information about equipment you will need for the course. If you do not wish for your email address to be shared with the course tutor please make the FHT aware by contacting us via telephone on 023 8062 4372 or email to email@example.com.