The FHT accepts practitioner level qualifications for therapy practice that meet the National Occupational Standards (NOS)1 and Core Curricula (CC)2 where available, or hold the relevant prerequisite3 that meets this standard4. As part of your application, the FHT will need to see copies of your qualification certificates.
Examples of Awarding Organisations that meet the FHT’s minimum standards of training are:
- C&G (City and Guilds)
- ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council)
- VTCT (Vocational Training Charitable Trust)
- CIBTAC (Confederation of International Beauty Therapy & Cosmetology)
- CIDESCO (Comite International d'Esthetique et de Cosmetologie)
- CYQ/YMCA (Central YMCA Qualifications)
- ECBS (European College of Bowen Studies) Accredited
- EDEXCEL BTEC
- FA / 1ST4SPORT (Football Association)
- IEB (International Examining Board)
- ABC Awards (previously the Awarding Body Consortium) exc. Stonebridge Associated Colleges ABC Certificates
- NOCN (National Open College Network)
- OCR / RSA (Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations)
- PTI (Premier Training International) Sports Qualifications
- PIQ (Premier IQ International
- SCOTVEC (Scottish Vocational Education Council)
- SQA (Scottish Qualifications Authority)
- UK University Degrees (BSc, MSc etc) (must include practical)
- VAI (Vocational Awards Institute)
- IIHHT(International Institute of Health & Holistic Therapies)
- IIST (International Institute of Sports Therapy) and
- IHBC (International Health and Beauty Council)
- Agored Cymru
The FHT also accepts practitioner level qualifications from private training schools that have been assessed as meeting the NOS and CC where available.
To check if your qualification meets these standards, contact us. You can also join over the telephone, making it a simpler process for you.
All FHT accredited qualifications are accepted for FHT membership (please check the pre requisites before undertaking any training).
Please note that FHT does not accept home study courses or Skype-led training for hands-on therapies.
1. National Occupational Standards (NOS)
NOS describe the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to practise a particular therapy to a nationally recognised level of competence. They focus on what the person needs to be able to do, as well as what they must know and understand to work effectively.
2. Core Curricula
A core curriculum defines the overall aims of a course, its learning outcomes, number and type of modules/units, course theory and practice hours, case study requirements and assessment. A core curriculum must contain the skills, competencies and safety defined in the therapy NOS. Below are the current therapy core curricula, which are available to download.
For post-graduate courses, the FHT requires appropriate prerequisite’s in training. For example, for FHT to accept specialist body massage courses in pregnancy massage, we will require you to hold an appropriate body massage qualification. To check that your qualifications will meet the FHT standards, please contact us. You can also join over the telephone making it a simpler process for you.
4. Individual Assessment
Where an individual assessment of your training and experience is required in order to consider your application, additional costs may be incurred. You will be notified of any charges upon initial assessment of your application.