Date: 8 December 2023
Location: From the comfort of your own home! Delivered via Zoom
Course times: 10.00 - 11.00
Prerequisite: Any Qualified Therapist
CPD points: 5 when reflection is completed
Course content: Do you ever feel anxious or treat clients who are anxious? Would you like to know about safe and effective ways to help someone who experiences breathlessness? People who experience breathlessness, especially older adults, have poorer physical and mental health than other people and are more likely to suffer anxiety and depression. Yet breathlessness can affect anyone and many of us have experienced anxiety and some stage. Over the course of her career as a physiotherapist and massage therapist Jane has worked on respiratory wards as well as in a hospice, working with people with breathing difficulties. In this webinar Jane will teach you about proven techniques to help improve breathing. Many of these techniques have the added benefit of increasing relaxation and therefor reducing anxiety too.
During this one-hour webinar you will learn:
- What are some of the reasons that cause a person to be short of breath, including anxiety?
- Which common conditions cause breathlessness?
- What evidence-based questionnaire could we use to assess a person’s degree of breathlessness?
- Useful questions to ask when working with someone who experiences regular breathlessness.
- How does changing position affect breathing and what positions are known to reduce breathlessness?
- Common breathing habits and why these are relevant
- Proven techniques to control breathing
- Where to signpost a person for further support with their breathing
This webinar focuses entirely on simple and safe techniques therapists can use to help someone with breathlessness. It does not cover the use of breathing devices or medications.
Course tutor: Dr Jane Johnson is a physiotherapist with a passion for helping therapists to gain confidence in hands-on techniques. A massage and sports massage therapistsfor many years, she appreciates the value of touch and thrives on sharing the many tips she has picked up over the years. Jane is the author of six books for therapists: Soft Tissue Release, Therapeutic Stretching, Deep Tissue Massage, Postural Assessment, Postural Correction and The Big Back Book; Tips and Tricks for Therapists.
Please note webinars are CPD sessions only and are not to teach insurable hands-on skills.
If you are booked on to this webinar you will receive a recording following on from the session. If you are not able to attend live, you can watch at a time that suits you.
You will need:
- Pen/ pencils
Charity donation: We are asking webinar attendees to donate £1 of their booking to go towards The Trussell Trust, which supports a nationwide network of food banks and provides emergency food and support to people locked in poverty, and campaign to end the need for food banks in the UK. Attendees will be given the opportunity to donate £1 of their booking or opt-out of the donation within the booking form.
Webinar price and bookings:
FHT members: £15 (including £1 donation to The Trussell Trust)
Non-members: £20 (including £1 donation to The Trussell Trust)
Bookings and payments
- All bookings are subject to availability.
- Full payment must be made at the time of booking.
- You may cancel a course booking at any time.
Cancellations within the 14 day cooling-off period
- If you cancel the course booking within 14 calendar days of receiving your order confirmation you are entitled to a full refund of the price paid without giving any reason.
- If the course commences during the 14-day cancellation period, we will retain an amount of your booking that is in proportion to goods that have been provided or services performed up until you have communicated to us your cancellation of the booking.
Cancellations outside of the cooling-off period
- After the 14-day cooling-off period has expired, the standard FHT course cancellation policy (as specified below) shall apply. Cancellations and refunds in circumstances outside those described above, and/or following the expiry of the 14-day cancellation period, are subject to the terms and conditions set out in these terms and conditions. For the avoidance of doubt, the cancellation period will expire 14 days after the date of the order confirmation.
- Cancellations made after the 14-day cancellation period will be subject to an administration fee of £28.
- Cancellations 21 days prior to the course start date will result in 50% of the course cost being forfeited.
- Cancellations 14 days prior to the course start date will result in the full course cost being forfeited.
- If for any reason a credit is provided instead of a full or part refund, you will be able to use the credit amount for any Education course or purchase for up to 1 year. After this it will expire from your account.
Cancelling a course booking
- To cancel a course booking, you must inform us by calling our main line on 023 8062 4350, or let us know of your decision to cancel the contract by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the following postal address: FHT, Aspire House, 10 Annealing Close, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 9PX. You must clearly state your intention to cancel your place on the course.
- We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction. If for any reason this is not possible, we will contact you to make other arrangements to process your refund. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of this reimbursement.
- Failure to attend the course will not result in a refund.
FHT course cancellations
- The FHT reserves the right to cancel or reschedule events as necessary according to interest in that specific topic. We will endeavour to keep learners informed of the status of the event, but it is the individual’s responsibility to check the website for the status of events.
- The FHT will not accept responsibility for any unrecoverable costs incurred by delegates (e.g. accommodation, travel, parking, etc.) as a result of a cancelled or postponed course.
- It is not the FHT's responsibility to provide or guarantee parking at the venues where our courses are held. Parking is subject to the venue's availability and any charges for parking are imposed by the venue, not the FHT.
- It is not the FHT’s responsibility to provide delegates with lunch or refreshments. The FHT will inform you whether lunch and refreshments are provided or if you are required to bring your own. If you have a special dietary requirement, we suggest that you bring your own snacks and lunch as we cannot guarantee that the venue is able to cater to your needs.
Membership and insurance
- Before booking onto any course through the FHT or any other course provider, it is always best to check with your professional association and insurance company to ensure that the training will be recognised upon completion.
- Please note that FHT works with trusted and experienced external tutors to host our courses and may need to provide your email address for the purpose of sending you pre-course information such as training manuals or information about equipment you will need for the course. If you do not wish for your email address to be shared with the course tutor please make the FHT aware by contacting us via telephone on 023 8062 4372 or email to email@example.com.