Released: 13 August 2020
In August 2020, Netflix launched a new docuseries called (Un)Well, which looks at different wellness products and practices, and whether these ‘live up to’ their promises, with episode one focusing on essential oils.
We welcome the fact that this new Netflix series highlights that when essential oils are used appropriately, by professional, qualified therapists, they can help to improve the wellbeing and qualify of life of people in both healthcare settings and the wider community – from a hospital patient experiencing pain and anxiety following spinal surgery, to a young teenage girl with autism, struggling to relax and sleep at night.
Similarly, we were also pleased to see the viewer’s attention being drawn to the fact that essential oils can be a serious risk to health when used inappropriately (eg. ingested).
We would like to take this opportunity to reinforce some key safety issues surrounding the use of essential oils:
- Never ingest (swallow) essential oils or apply neat to the skin.
- If you have allergies, sensitive skin, are pregnant or you are on medication, consult a professional aromatherapist for advice before using essential oils. You can find a therapist in your area at www.fht.org.uk/register
- Buy high-quality essential oils from a reputable supplier or stockist, to ensure these are 100% pure and unadulterated.
- Buy in small quantities, in dark glass bottles with a dropper at the top, and store in a cool place.
- Dispose of the oil safely, in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines, which might be before the ‘use by’ date, once the bottle has been opened.
- Aromatherapy and essential oils cannot treat or cure medical conditions and should only be used alongside standard medical care, and not as an alternative. Consult your GP or other health professional if you have questions or concerns about any medical matters.
- If you are under the care of a medical professional, advise them if you are using essential oils/aromatherapy to support your health.
Read FHT’s Statement on the oral administration (ingestion) of essential oils, published in September 2016.