What is CPD?
CPD is a range of activities through which professional therapists maintain and develop their skills to ensure that they retain their capacity to practise safely, effectively and legally, within their scope of practice.
CPD points can be gained from a wide variety of methods, as detailed in the CPD information guide which you can download below.
FHT members must complete a minimum of 10 CPD points per membership year, through developing in all areas of therapies practised. Please note FHT Associates, Affiliates and Student Members are not required to complete CPD.
FHT places the responsibility on each member to decide what their professional development needs are. Members are encouraged to focus on the quality and outcome of CPD activities, as opposed to the time spent on these.
*FHT Students, Affiliates and Associates are not required to complete CPD.
What do you need to do?
We have formulated a step-by-step guide to help you keep on top of your annual CPD.
Step two: Keep a portfolio or folder at home for you to file all of your CPD evidence e.g. training certificates, reflective practice, etc, along with your CPD log.
Step three: As you complete CPD activities, ensure that you file the appropriate evidence in to your portfolio or folder for safe keeping and make sure to note the activity on your log.
Step four: Before the end of each membership year you should have completed a minimum of 10 CPD points through developing in all areas of therapies you practise. There is no need to send us your CPD portfolio or folder, unless you are selected at random for a CPD audit.
FHT regularly selects members at random to audit their CPD evidence. If you are randomly selected for a CPD audit, you will be notified by letter and you will be required to send in your evidence.
CPD downloads, templates and links
- Keep on top of your CPD by downloading out completing our CPD log.
- Download our CPD information guide to see our guidance on CPD point allocation.
- Download the case study template to help with your structure and layout.
- Download the reflective practice templates to allow you to reflect upon any treatment, events, experiences or training:
- Record a mentoring or supervision session using this helpful template
- CPD isn't always expensive training courses. Sometimes it's free, and right at your fingertips. You can read more about ways to get free, online CPD on our blog.
Specific and generic CPD
FHT categorises CPD activities into either specific CPD or generic CPD, depending on whether education provided develops you in a particular therapy only, or will apply to all therapies. Below we have listed some examples of generic CPD:
- First aid training
- Health and safety training
- Anatomy and physiology training
- Attending a business or marketing course
- Writing a business plan
- and many more